Tuesday 8 May 2018

Making It Work For You

I have a little scrapbooking club, attended by a marvellous group of young ladies.  Most of them are relatively new to scrapbooking, but have taken to it in a big way!  I have posted page layouts on this blog before, but I thought I'd talk about something a little bit different today: planning ahead for scrapbooking.

One of the major frustrations of scrapbooking is that the photo you reeeeally want to use in a particular spot simply isn't the right size or shape.  Ever been there?  I know I have!  So, here are a few tips and tricks that I've picked up over the last few years.

1) When taking photos, always take two of the same thing: one landscape, one portrait.  In the age of digital cameras we don't lose anything by doing this, and it can save a lot of frustration further down the line.  Remembering to do it doesn't always come easy (I'm still a bit rubbish at it), but if you can remember this step then half the battle is won.

2) Make use of collages.  Most smartphones and some cameras come with this fuction, but there are also apps that give you a lot more options in terms of layout, backgrounds, etc.  There are loads out there, but I use PicCollage - I paid for the full version, and love that I can download new sets of backgrounds and digital stickers when I need them for a very small cost.  But it's the collage function itself that is most useful for scrapbooking:
  
This is not meant as a finished piece - it just means that when I get my photos printed I will get four small photos on one 6x4 print, which will make them much easier to incorporate into their various scrapbook pages.  Putting two photos on one 6x4 print will fit the smaller pockets of the Memories & More pages perfectly.

3) Don't be afraid of leaving "gaps" - a Memories & More card or a nice piece of your favourite DSP will fill it in, and sometimes breaking up the pictures a bit can help to highlight the ones that are there.  In some of the page layouts I know exactly which pockets will have cards in them, because personally I don't like having too many photos all in a row.

Well, that's it - my top scrapbooking tips!  Hope you've found them useful, and Happy Crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment