Saturday 15 September 2018

Reflections on a Winter Woodland

I know I've posted this before, but wanted to say a bit more about it.  As with so many of my designs at the moment this was made for a Colour Challenge (Grapefruit Grove, Merry Merlot and Pool Party).  And this was very difficult for me to do, although I am pleased with the results.

See, my name is Sarah, and I'm white-space-phobic 😄  I accepted this many years, and there's no shame in it.  There are plenty of others out there like me - perhaps you are one of them?

One of my favourite quotes is by Helena Bonham-Carter, who when asked about her personal fashion style said that she just doesn't quite know when to stop getting dressed.  I'm a bit like that with cards.  If there is space, it looks unfinished, at least while I'm sitting there making it.  If someone else made exactly the same thing I wouldn't have the slightest problem with it, but it's perhaps a sign of lack of confidence in certain styles of design, or perhaps that my simpler designs can't stand on their own merit.

So the above was very brave of me.  Two layers of stamped trees, one of Bokeh Dots, one greeting.  One matted layer.  That's all.  Nothing else.

And I've left it like that.  There was a time when I would have scowled at it and covered it in ribbons and diamante, textured the proverbial out of it and run it through the BigShot in an embossing folder.  And there is definitely a place for all that, but not on this card.  This one is teaching me something about my crafting, and also, maybe, about myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment